Subtraction - Week 2: Othermill Skill Builder
TITLE: Othermill Skill Builder
DATE: Feb 5th, 2017
INSTRUCTORS: Ben Light
This week's task is to use othermill to mill a piece of ITP old floor wood. The shape and the facility of this old piece remind me of the maze I played when I was a child. And the pocket and contour of the maze are exactly the best resources to train milling skills.
Draw a maze from the scratch is a pain in the ass. Then I found the maze generator, which is same as the gear generator and I used it to generate a maze and edit it into the actual size for my floorwood. I also redesigned the outline, so the black fill would be cut off to reveal the path of the maze.
One suggestion here is, design the SVG file with the actual measurement. Because the software only uses percentage to change the scale, which wouldn't be precise enough if we want to mill a part for our projects.
THE FINAL WORK
Actually, I forget to buy the small steel ball for it. I tried hot glue to make one small glue ball, which was not working at all, lol
1. I got an automatic stop, and couldn't find the reason.
- Guess 1: I noticed that when my laptop was sleeping othermill was still working. So I guess maybe it was some kind of issue with the USB cable. Because I got an extension cable for it.
- Guess 2: I the bit got stuck by the joint of the wood
- Guess 3: It was finished already, though the calculated time bar was not over.
2. I noticed that when I upload my design file, the software said that I need small bit to cut the red marker areas. Though we can ignore that and have a half-finished piece. But I wonder if we have to change the corner radius of my design file? Does this cause some mechanical problems? Like the automatic stop above?